Technically I started Kids Clothes week – October 2014 edition – 4 days early. My husband is jetting out of town on KCW day two for a business trip and I wasn’t convinced I’d have any sewing time while he was away. Plus we’re doing Halloween on the 25th instead of the 31st so it was definitely time for me to whip out some costumes.
First up was my little 5 year old Rose Flower Fairy. She’d read a book from the library at some point about flower fairies and had the idea to be a Clover flower fairy. Then when I’d just picked out fabrics for that…..she changed her mind.
Her choice was unexpected since I assumed she’d ask to be Elsa. But this works great because this KCW there is an optional storybook theme! And both kids happened to pick storybook costumes.
This is the work of one day’s sewing – though more than the one hour of daily sewing for Kids Clothes Week went into it. It was surprisingly quick though considering I was designing it as I went, and really wasn’t sure what it was going to come out like
I’d ordered some fabrics from fabric.com – this cheap but pretty rose colored gauze, some cream sateen, and this ruffly flowery polyester monster. When it got here, I finally had to decide exactly what the heck I was going to do.
I wanted it to be halloween worthy, while being practical for future use. Previous halloween costumes I’ve made have seen heavy rotation for months or even years after.
And Princess Leia, which Clover still tries to wear even though it’s shirt length on her now
And Violet’s wolf suit, which got worn weekly till she couldn’t possibly squeeze in and the legs were cropped on her.
Eventually I settled on a modified Geranium dress for simplicity’s sake. I can sew it now pretty much without looking at the directions, which made this a LOT faster. But I changed up the bodice in a few ways.
First I squared off the neckline like I’d done and made a super mini tute for here. But this time I squared the front too. Then I curved the bottom of the bodice so it came up towards the center in the front and back.
And I also gathered a big rectangle of cream sateen for the front outer bodice and cut the pattern piece out of that, so that I could get this smocked kind of effect. I wanted it to be sweet and feminine and kind of like a “babydoll Jane Austen” dress……if that makes any sense. Lol. I pretty much didn’t know what I was doing, and just experimented till it looked ok.
Here are a couple in process shots
My modified bodice and the gathered sateen
Bodice all assembled.
My insane outer skirt. All to cram onto a 4T sized bodice. Lol!
For the skirt, I used up every square inch of the two yards of gauze I had, and made it extra gathered, and double layered because it’s pretty sheer.
I also sewed 1/2 yard of the poly rose monster into a tube and sewed it on to the bottom of the outer skirt piece. It was a huge pain in the ass.
But Clover LOVES it. I knew she was going to. As soon as I was sewing the behemoth flower section on and this dress started looking ridiculous to me, I thought “wow, I think I hate this. Clover is going to love it!”
Because of how much gauze is gathered up on the skirts and how friggin heavy all that rosette fabric is, this dress has MAJOR twirl factor. It spins up like it defies gravity. There is a lot of fabric in this dress. It’s seriously heavy. I guess there’s something like 3 yards total on it, but the roses are really heavy.
She found some roses (and a back hoe) to pose in front of today. I hastily snapped the photos above this morning in bad light, and then got these others on my iPhone when we happened upon some roses.
It’s weird, I was totally turned off by how this turned out at first, but it’s grown on me. I really liked it until the flowers went onto the bottom. Although it’s not my favorite thing ever, I’m actually really proud of it. I thought up the design, picked the fabric, and executed things I wasn’t sure I could do. And my kid loves it. So it feels pretty good.
I really do like the bodice a lot.
Oh and there’s a little preview of KCW days 2 & 3 walking by! I have a penguin beak that needs to be stiffened before this one is runway ready.
Here’s a bonus shot of Violet harassing Hawthorne while I took Clover’s picture